Dec 17, 2010

Dragon software

Early Christmas present arrived today: Dragon software. I'm extremely excited about it.

Vista comes with voice recognition software, but it's not good. It's not very bright, but I will give it kudos for being fun to use if you are not trying to do something serious with it. I hummed and sang silly songs to my Windows VRS, and since you extend syllables in singing, it never ever typed what I sang, and of course it made up its own words for whatever I hummed. Which led to some fun word constructions.

I found that if I sang stuff that rhymed, often whatever it typed up rhymed. It was all a big glob of words, but when I went through and threw in returns and capitalized letters, and erased the strange symbols that got thrown into the mix, I came up with some not terrible and kind of fun verses. It was kind of like performance art, though my family tells me that they're pretty sure it means the computer is possessed... or has achieved awakening.

Anyway, I can't do that anymore. I have software for typing, and I have visions of it taking off in a great woosh of inspiration, and that I will have this book finished by tomorrow! Yes, I AIM HIGH.

What is more likely to happen: Tomorrow I will still be trying to train it to understand my manner of speaking. You have to read along with text to teach the program. This is not a big deal for most people, but I'm dyslexic. I've got great reading comprehension, but if I have to read out loud, something happens between the words going in my eyes and out my mouth. It's a mess. It's not pretty. It's word salad. I'm pretty sure my computer is now going to have a speech impediment and I'll still not be done by the end of the MONTH, let alone tomorrow.

Will keep posted on how it goes. Until then, please enjoy my computer's poetry... that was composed Pre-Dragon:

     It has skidded from a sin
     The terror a fad and its crazy had no choice
     But nothing in the sense of awe that tells me of you
     My hand in the hand that would want to rule the world

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spammers have found me again, so to save my inbox and avoid an extra, useless, and extra-useless daily task to nick the useless comments, captcha is on!